I made this banner for my Madeit Store, using a photo I took of a very strange sunrise

I made this banner for my Madeit Store, using a photo I took of a very strange sunrise

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Measuring Head Circumference

I have had a few people ask me how to go about measuring their child's head circumference, to determine which hat size is needed, so I thought I would write a post explaining the best way to get an accurate measurement.

Method:
  1. The measurement should be taken with a non-stretch flexible tape measure.
  2. Wrap the tape snugly around the widest possible circumference - from the most prominent part of the forehead (often 1-2 fingers above the eyebrow), above the ears and around to the widest part of the back of the head.
  3. Read the measurement.

Note:
The measurements of my crocheted sun hats are taken with the hats completely unstretched, but being crochet, they have quite a bit of stretch in them, so the hats will fit onto a head that is up to a few cms larger than the stated measurement.
This also means that they will fit comfortably for longer than a firm (non-stretch) hat.

[Example: 2 of my children wear the 52cm sized hats yet one is 6yrs old and has a head circumference of 53.5cm, and the other is 10yrs old and has a 54cm head circumference. The hats sit comfortably and do not look overstretched at all.]

For the best fit of my crocheted sun hats (and most use from the hat) I recommend ordering a hat thats measurement is the same or just a little bit larger than your child's head, so it will sit well yet have room for growth.

If you are still unsure about what size to order, feel free to contact me and I will help as best I can.

I hope this helps- if not (if it is unclear or confusing) please let me know. Sometimes you know in your head what you are trying to say, but can figure out how to explain it properly.

Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment