I made this banner for my Madeit Store, using a photo I took of a very strange sunrise

I made this banner for my Madeit Store, using a photo I took of a very strange sunrise

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

How to Make Pinwheels (Xmas Decorations Part 1)

My daughter and I began the first of our yearly Christmas Craft yesterday. It went well so I decided to share what we did and how we did it. Our results are currently tacked to my notice board until we put the tree up, and decorate the house later this week.


Instructions
:

1. Cut a piece of double sided paper into a square of the desired size (our large pinwheels are 16cm square and the small ones are 7cm square but you could make them any size you like).

2. Fold the square in half along the diagonal line (corner to corner), one way, then unfold and fold along the other diagonal line, then open out flat (alternatively you can lightly draw the diagonal lines using a pencil and ruler if desired).


3. From each corner, to the centre, measure and mark the point which is 3/4 of the way in from the corner. I have drawn dotted lines to make it easier to see (as seen in picture below)


4. Cut along each of these 4 lines, ensuring you stop 3/4 of the way to the centre of the square (as shown by the cut lines in the picture below).


5. Poke a hole through every second corner (shown by the *asterisks in the picture above) and through the centre of the pinwheel. Be careful not to make the holes too close to the edges, or they may rip when the pinwheel is assembled.



6. Fold the corners into the centre in order (as shown in the diagrams above). Take a split pin (brad), and gently push it through the points, then through the centre hole then open the pin at the back to secure it.

7. Put a hole in one of the unfolded points, thread with string or ribbon and tie off, so pinwheel can be hung on the tree or somewhere around the house.


I am hoping that I can coax the boys into joining us in our next Xmas craft project. The little one was sick yesterday so he should be on board today, but I am not sure I will be able to talk the teenager into it (although it won't stop me trying!)

I am also exicted because the organza ribbon I ordered has arrived, so last night I began working on the fairy skirts I have been planning to make to team up with the fairy wands and ribbons headbands. Yeah! A new project!

Until next time...

P.S. If you give these a go, let me know!



No comments:

Post a Comment